Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Aging Parents

I just spent a few days with my dad (and mom) at the Pioneer Steam and Gas Engine Society's big summer tractor show (a show that I pretty strongly suspect will be his last due to his failing health). Having been a life-long farmer, he sure enjoys going to see all the antique equipment and a lot of his friends, plus eat good ice-cream, see tractor-pulls and more. I am glad that I worked this into my schedule. From time to time I would loose track of them and I would need to ask someone if they had seen my "children". Of course many of the old-timers understood what I was saying and they would point to an antique lawn-tractor drawn buggy and say - "there they go there." Reminds me of the powerful Mark Schultz song that looks back across the lives of couple who are in their eighties. Its like they were eighteen all over again. It was beautiful to see as they finish these final moments of life together. By the way, Dad is progressing toward a relationship with Jesus. I don't know that he is quite there yet, but sure signs are evident. (We've had some good conversations about the subject, but being the son, I don't push too hard). I am looking forward to trying to do a few more things with him while we are able...10 minutes of shooting the 22 at a flip-up target I bought for him at Cabela's sure seems to do him some good from time to time.

No comments: